Friday, May 15, 2009

Survey

Originally for my interview, I was planning on talking to some experts on folklore, but considering that my “big question” is why people (everyday, run of the mill people) love urban legends, I thought I would ask normal people: students. I talked to six students here at the high school: Hannah Golden, Aimee L’Eplattenier, Lauren Cordor, Trent Knighton, and Keith Hallinquest. I thought that asking everyday students would help me more accurately discover what people think is the big hype about urban legends.
The overall consensus that the other students gave me was that people are bored. They are always looking for something new and exciting to talk about, like stories; most of all, ones that people don’t already know. They also said that as high schoolers, we love the drama, and what’s more dramatic than a good urban legend that really hits one of your nerves? Aimee L’Eplattenier compared it to gossip: “When I was in middle school, people really loved to spread rumors about me. Not only did people love to spread them, they loved to hear them too. It was passed around just like this swine flu (ha ha). I think that people are just too bored with their lives so they have to have something to talk about other than themselves (although that is everyone’s favorite topic). We all want to know things that others don’t, so we may spread things around just for whatever type of praise or reaction we get from it.” I think Aimee did a really good job at explaining why gossip and urban legends are so appealing. People need something to talk about, they’re bored, so they need something bizarre to keep them occupied. I think it’s just human nature to want to hear about weird and bizarre things, and that is exactly what urban legends allow us.

L’Eplattenier, Aimee. Personal Interview. 28 Apr. 2009
Golden, Hannah. Personal Interview. 22 Apr. 2009
Cordor, Lauren. Personal Interview. 28 Apr. 2009
Chramer, Elisabeth. Personal Interview. 28 Apr. 2009
Knighton, Trent. Personal Interview. 22 Apr. 2009
Hallinquest, Keith. Personal Interview. 28 Apr. 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment