Thursday, May 14, 2009

You Wanna Play?

So, originally for my live interaction, I was going to do a ghost tour (the Red Lady and Huntingdon) but got cancelled on the count of the swine flu. However, I think that this live interaction turned out much better than the other would have. I gathered up some of my less superstitious and more adventurous friends to play (or whatever it is you do with it) a Quija Board. My mom has had the thing since she was my age. She dug it out of her attic for me. She said that she and her friends messed with it a little when she was younger, but she was too chicken to stick around. She never did ask if anything happened……
The Quija Board we used was very standard, with a yes at the top left hand corner, a no at the right; two arcs one on top of the other of the alphabet, a line of the numbers one through nine under that, and at the very bottom, good bye as two words. The beginning of the game was actually the worst part because of the build up of anticipation. My mom is very superstitious person, so it couldn’t help but rub off on me. We started by asking the board what our names were (by we, I mean them, I was actually more of a bystander). The first person’s was right, but I think that she may have been trying to pull our legs. Honestly, the room had kind of an eerie feeling to it, faux or not, but I may have just been nerves. Of course, as I expected, (or rather hoped for) nothing bizarre or out of the ordinary ever happened. In most cases, the little pointer didn’t even move, but some people swore that the could feel it pulling, probably in another attempt to freak the rest of us out. The story isn’t the six of us playing the game though, it was the willingness that my friends have to do something that may or may not have had some supernatural risk. Not one of them hesitated when I asked. Then again, I may have just asked the right people. This helped me answer my question simply because it showed me what type of people are roned to believing or seeking out urban legends. They are thrill seekers, but they want to believe that thrill can be achieved by less extreme measures than something that has immediate danger or severe risk. They believe because they want to; it's exciting.

Ouija Board. Live Interaction. 2 May 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment